Angoon Airport Update
Alaska Department of Transportation & Public Facilities
The ADOT&PF has retained Northern Appraisers to start the process of appraising the value of the properties that they need to acquire for construction of the new Angoon Airport. Many of these properties are Homesite lots that were distributed by Kootznoowoo, Inc. in 1997.
- The owners of those properties will be contacted by the appraisers who have to offer the owner an opportunity to visit the property with them.
- This is a requirement of the Uniform Relocation Act which guides the ADOT&PF on how they have to work with property owners.
- It is important to note that this property visit, or inspection, is not when the appraisers will be offering prices for the property, nor should they. That process will occur towards the end of the summer, this step is just an inspection.
Director Harold Frank, Jr. was in charge of the original Homesite program during his time as Land Resource Manager for Kootznoowoo, Inc. He points out that once the distribution of lots was made in 1997, the title passed to the new owners and Kootznoowoo, Inc. no longer had or has an involvement with what became “private property”.
- Some of the properties or lots may be subject to estate issues due to no will at passing of an original owner or no probate process to clear the title.
- Assistance in those cases will require legal assistance which is not something Kootznoowoo, Inc. has the ability to provide.
- We can, however, provide some guidance on what to do and provide a list of attorneys that may be able to help.
If you have questions about the acquisition process you can contact Melissa Kookesh, our Board Chair, and she can explain things further. 907-321-8984 | email@example.com